Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Special K Bars and The Not-Moving Move



I intended to make these squares when the movers arrived with my things.  I made banana bread when the moving company came to Charleston the end of May, so it only seemed fitting to make something for when the movers arrived in Texas.


Except, nothing about this move has gone according to planned.  The movers were supposed to be here last week.  They were suppose to arrive with all my things, carry them up to our third-floor apartment, and unpack the kitchen.  Suppose to.  ( I won’t even go in to the whole story about how the initial packing & loading was screwed up).


It’s very stressful and nerve-wracking to hand over all your possessions to a moving company.  Yes, the move is insured, but what if something does happen to things that are irreplaceable?  What would happen if everything was lost?  I’ve been praying lots for peace about the move, but sometimes I still regress back to the worrying stage.  Earlier last week, I finally allowed myself to check the tracking number on the move, just to see where everything is at (and also to plan when I should make these squares for the movers).


Our tracking number didn’t show any progress.  Zip.  I placed a call to the moving company & they informed me that the estimated arrival was June 21st.  June 21st?!?  That was more than a week beyond the end delivery span (June 13) listed on our paper work.  The company promised to do some checking to see why everything was taking so long.


The situation gets worse....  As it turns out, all my possessions are not en route.  They are, in fact, still in a warehouse in Charlotte, NC.  The company had no idea when their parent company will be sending a truck or driver to pick them up.  So absolutely no ETA.  After several calls to customer service, they final think they have a loading date?  But I'm not holding my breath....


I’ve been less than thrilled about this situation.  Yes, it has been fun to hang around the apartment, but I have things I need to do!  Things that require the contents of my moving boxes!  All the wedding thank you’s I designed, they’re in the boxes.  All my school materials I need to update to send back to Charleston, they’re in the boxes.  All the kitchen tools & cookbooks I need to start a home-based baking business (yay for the cottage laws in Texas), they’re all in the boxes.


Even though this senerio is not resolved, I am trying to move on with life.  I made the Special K Bars, another childhood favorite of mine, anyway.  My husband can take them to work instead... I’m sure  his co-workers won’t mind!   I’ll find something else to make if when the movers come.


I will be thankful for this lull between the chaos of packing to move and the chaos of unpacking & figuring out where on earth to put all my things in this small apartment.  I will continue to catch up on rest & reading for fun.  I will continue to pray for patience & peace.  


Special K Bars

Some people call these squares Special K Bars, and some call them Scotcheroos....  In my research, I've come to the conclusion that the major difference between the two is  the kind of cereal used.  Special K bars use, obviously Special K cereal.  Scotcheroos often use Rice Krispies.  Use whichever you prefer. 

2 cups / 14 oz Granulated Sugar
2 cups / 22 oz Karo Syrup
2 cups / 17.5 oz Creamy Peanut Butter
11 cups / 11.75 oz Special K Cereal

1 cup / 7.7oz Butterscotch Chips
1 cup / 7.7 oz Chocolate Chips

1.  Spray a 9x13 glass pan with cooking spray.  I like to use glass because it does not scratch when you cut the squares.

2.  Combine the sugar, Karo syrup, and peanut butter in a large pot.  Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring constantly.

3.  Remove from the heat and gently stir in the Special K cereal.  Make sure all the cereal gets coated.

4.  Pour the mixture into the sprayed pan.  Spray the back of a spoon with additional cooking spray & press to flatten.  Allow to cool completely.

5.  Combine the butterscotch & chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl.  Microwave in thirty-second intervals, stirring between the intervals, until the chips melt.  Alternately, the chips can be melted on the stove in a double boiler.

6.  Pour the melted chips over the cooled cereal bars and allow to set.

7.  Cut into squares & enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment