Monday, June 21, 2010

France: Markets

Charleston is very fortunate to have one of the best farmer's markets in the US offering "fresh locally grown produce & locally processed food products as well as distinctive hand wrought arts and crafts." You can read more about it here.  After moving from the midwest to Charleston, I became completely spoiled by both the length and the products available at various farmer's markets around where I live.

Well, hold on to your hats (or perhaps reusable shopping bags), because if I thought the Charleston farmers market was amazing, it's nothing compared to what I saw in France!  Here are a few markets I had the pleasure of experiencing during my trip.

CAEN: Friday Market








And Kelli's favorite part of the Market?  Fry Man!  He makes some of the most delicious "frites" I've ever had!  We got spicy Samurai sauce with ours.



BEAUNE: "Smashing" Saturday market. 
I like to research (yes, it's true). And so I bought several guidebooks before our travels.  This book mentioned that Beaune had a "smashing saturday market." And WOW they were not at all joking!  We felt some sorrow we couldn't spend more time experiencing the Beaune Saturday market, but alas, we had already rented our bicycles for the day and planned a slightly vigorous route (well, vigorous for me).  Another sad fact about the wonderful Beaune market: my digital camera card decided to corrupt a good chunk of photos I'd captured at the market.  So unfortunately I cannot share all my memories with you.  I just encourage everyone to go themselves!

 






potentially the largest asparagus stalks I've seen in my life! 









2 comments:

  1. This excites me and makes me want to cry at the same time because it's been my dream to go to Franc for years. Thanks for letting me live vicariously through you with the write up and photos. :) What an amazing time you're having..enjoy the rest of your trip!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :)))) So much love for this post too. Yay! I love it. So MUCH! xoxoxox
    It feels like ages ago, doesn't it? *sigh* we must go again. bisous grases my dear!

    ReplyDelete